10 November 2010

Please give a warm welcome to Tonya today

Hi Tonya, thank you for agreeing to join me today on The Heart of Romance, and congratulations on the upcoming release of your new book, Night Pleasure.
Thank you for having me here today!

Please will you tell us a little bit about yourself?
I am 24 years old, I live in Eastern Kentucky on a farm. I love animals. I am attending college, I am working on a nursing degree, then I plan to go on for my midwife. I love people. I love talking to them and getting to know them. What they like, hate, there personalities, etc. I was always that kid who would bug you to tell me a story about what it was like when you grew up, especially my grandparents, that always fascinated me. My papaw Callihan and great uncle Cleo always could tell some interesting stories.
I see you are an editor/copy editor for Class Act Books and Wings ePress, did you find that helped or hindered you while editing your own book? Were you able to bring the same objectivity to your own work you use when working with other authors?
I think in ways it helped me when I edited my own work. I took what I have learned editing and incorporated it into my own editing routine. I honestly think I was harder on myself than I would be with anyone else. As they say ‘you are your own worst critic’. So in some way it may have hurt my writing, because I edited it to death.

I see from your bio you enjoy reviewing books for several sites, too. How did you get into that, and does it impact on your approach to your own writing in any way?
When I decided to get serious about a writing career, I researched the writing field and the publishing world. I came across many review sites and of course I read some of the reviews of my favourite authors. On one review site I saw a link that said ‘Become a Reviewer’, I clicked on it and filled out the application process and was accepted. I later joined several other review sites as well. It’s a great way to get your opinion out and to receive free books.
And yes, it does impact my writing. If I am interested in a certain genre to write, which is mainly paranormal, I research publishers. Once I narrow it down, I pick paranormal books from that publisher and review them. It lets me know what that publisher is currently seeking. Then I will decide if I want to change my story in any way to fit their guidelines or find another publisher.

Do you have a special writing routine?
I usually eat before I write, so I’m not thinking about food and that’s not distracting me. I have to have caffeine so I grab a soda. If I’m in the mood for music, I pull up my ITunes, sometimes the TV background noise is fine. Then sometimes the only noise in the house is the dryer going and my pug, snoring at my feet and that, in its own weird way, can be soothing. I always check my emails first, this way I see new releases coming out, see what is going on with my groups, it’s always a motivation boost!

What is your favourite kind of music? Do you enjoy singing along with the radio?
I love country, it’s my favourite. I love to sing along to the radio, especially to Kenny Chesney. I can’t carry a tune, but I sing my little heart out:-)

If you were a flower which one would you be and why?
I would want to be a lavender orchid. They are my favourite flowers. It’s the first flower that I planted in a pot and took care of, the first one that lived anyway. I gave it to a woman in a nursing home; she loved flowers and had no family. She absolutely loved it and it made my day to see her smiling so big!

What advice would you give to an aspiring writer?
In a way, I think I am still an aspiring writer. My first book hasn’t officially been released yet. It’s still a shock to me that I am getting published. I would say, at this point in my career, the advice I could give, always write like you are an aspiring writer. Never think that because you have a book published that all of your stories will get published. Join critique groups or have a critique partner. Join groups on yahoo or google that focus on genre of writing you want to write. Do your research, ask questions. And never, never give up!! And I live by this motto “I can’t fix a blank page”, I sit down and I write, I don’t sit there after a few lines and say this is dumb and give up. I keep writing until its finished then I focus on editing it. I also don’t look at a blank page and ponder. I let my fingers do the talking.

If you could choose to live anywhere in the world, where would you like to be?
Ireland

Who is your favourite actor/actress?
George Clooney, Channing Tatum, Russell Crowe.
Meg Ryan, Julia Roberts, Rachel McAdams, Anne Hathaway and Kate Hudson.

Do you base your characters on people you know?
No, because no one I know is that perfect nor would I want them to be.

Which actor and actress would you cast as the hero and heroine of your new book, Night Pleasures?
Rachel McAdams and Channing Tatum 

If you didn’t have access to a computer would you write your books in longhand?
I actually do that sometimes. I have been doing that a lot here lately. I find I am getting more accomplished if I have a legal pad and pen. I can basically go through the story in my head and on paper, it’ll be short, only the main points and then as I type it I fill in the missing pieces.

Where do you see yourself in five year’s time?
Still writing, finished with school, a career in the medical field. Maybe starting a family or getting ready to start a family.

Please will you tell us about your upcoming book and share the blurb and an excerpt with us?
Night Promises is the first book in my Night Pleasures series. They are all vampire books. All books connect, but at the same time can be read as one. It has been my favourite series of books to write and I really hope everyone enjoys the characters and the storyline as much as I do.

Blurb:
Kelly O’Keefe first met a vampire when she was twelve. Now the pair are best friends and have opened Night Pleasures, an underground club that caters to vampires and their needs. Once Kelly’s sister is murdered, she finds herself working with Connor, a vampire she's been in love with for months. Unable to
trust men, let alone a vampire, can she let him help her solve her sister’s murder?
Connor has been watching after Kelly for seven months with the help of his sire and best friend Micah. Connor has kept himself at a distance even though he knows they are life mates. But he's afraid of losing control and turning Kelly against her will. When he learns Kelly plans on investigating her sister’s death, he steps in and allows himself to get close to her.
But how close is too close?
Where will we be able to buy your book when it comes out?
You will be able to buy my book for early purchase for 10% off the cover price from December 24-26. After the 26th you won’t be able to purchase the book until it’s release date January 5, 2011. You can buy the book at: http://www.secretcravingspublishing.com/

And do you have a website and other links you’d like to share?
Website: http://www.tonyacallihan.weebly.com/
Blog: http://www.tonyasramblings.blogspto.com/
Facebook: www.facebook.com/tonyawrites
FacebookFan: www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Tonya-Renee-Callihans-Night-Promises/155567004477447
Twitter: www.twitter.com/tonyacallihan
Tabby’s Nocturnal Nights: http://tabithablake.blogspot.com/ 

Best wishes for your new book and your nurses training. Thank you so much for being here with us today. :-)
Thank you so much for having me Sherry!

2 comments:

Zee said...

Excellent interview Sherry. I love Anne Hathaway and Russell Crowe. I think that's a great idea to eat before you write... quite unique. And I sound just like the musical artist when I have my own personal concert in my car! Lol. Have a great day!

Unknown said...

LOL...I know what you mean Zee, everyone sounds better in a car or the shoewer!