25 August 2012

Sweet Saturday Sample 25-08-12

Another week has flashed by andhere we are again offering more Sweet Saturday Samples for you.
Here is another sample from my wip for your this week. My heroine and hero are being questioned by a particularly suspicious gendarme.

Still held in a tight embrace, Honor listened in astonishment as Vidal castigated the intruders in fluent French for their untimely interruption.

“We beg a thousand pardons,” the leader offered, “but we are searching for a traitor and were told he was here.”

“Well unless he is hiding in a cupboard, “Vidal let his glance roam round the intricately carved wooden panelled walls of the room, “he is not here.”

“When did you arrive?”

Honor hid a smile in Vidal’s chest when she heard the doubt in the interrogator’s voice.

“My bride and I arrived,” he made a display of digging out his watch, “about two hours ago.”

One of the men standing behind the speaker and just beyond the door leaned forward and whispered something.

The speaker’s eyes sharpened and he stepped forward.  “What if I told you, you were seen in Bordeaux this afternoon?”

“I suppose it is possible.” Vidal put his arm round her shoulder and pulled her even closer to him.  Something inside her trembled and knew the heat spiralling within her had reached her face.  Embarrassment added fuel to her sudden longing and guilt added to discomfort.  How could Vidal’s kisses create such a storm of wanting within her?  And at critical moment when they were in danger of being exposed as English travelling through an enemy country?

“My dear,” Vidal’s finger beneath her chin brought her head up until her eyes met his.  A look, strong, demanding and yet full of an understanding the added to her confusion unsettled her further. “The chief of gendarme is asking you if you have seen the man they are looking for?”

“Man?” She dimpled at the official, who she suspected was more likely a soldier than a gendarme. “I have eyes only for my husband.”

“Perhaps I can jog your memory?”

Her heart pounded to the rhythm of her fear, what had she missed while daydreaming about her reaction to Vidal’s kisses?

“I think he means the man who stopped us in Bordeaux and asked for directions.”

“Oh, I see.” She let herself give in to her longing to touch Vidal’s face, and trailed her finger down his cheek, and hid a smile when his eyes darkened with desire.  “He was not as tall as my husband, more slender I think, and his hair was darker. Was it darker?” she asked Vidal. Then before he could answer addressed the man now standing directly in front of her.  “I cannot say for sure, for he was just someone asking the way.”

“And what did you tell him?”

“What could I tell him?” She waited for his challenge and when it didn’t come looked up at Vidal. “You gave him directions, did you not?” She let the memory of his kiss heat up her face again. “I’m afraid I only had eyes for my husband.” She reached up and kissed him on the lips.

12 comments:

Patricia Kiyono said...

Lovely! I like the way Honor is embarrassed to be found in an embrace, yet very reluctant to leave it. Are the gendarmes looking for Vidal? Guess I'll have to keep reading.

Elaine Cantrell said...

Oh, she has it bad for her husband! Today is my wedding anniversary. I still have it bad for my husband too.

Jenna said...

Is he her husband? I'm not so sure. I suspect if not, she wishes he was. She's quite the little actress, though. Loved this sample, Sherry.

Lindsay said...

Intriguing

Sherry Gloag said...

I'm glad this works for you Patricia, I appreciate your comment as I was uncertain about it. Thanks.

Sherry Gloag said...

Happy anniversary Elain I hope you've had a fabulous day, thanks for coming by. At this moment in the story, Honor and Vidal are pretending to be married to avoid discovery. Thanks for coming by.

Sherry Gloag said...

Jenna, you're right they are acting the part, but I'm delight her emotins are coming through so well, they are genuine and giving her a real bad time.

Sherry Gloag said...

:-) Thanks for coming by Lindsay. Have had to stay of the 'puter all day due to thunderstorms and lightening all afternoon and early evening.

Carrie-Anne said...

Great scene! I love the tension and how Honor keeps cool under pressure,

Sandra Nachlinger said...

This is a terrific scene. Is Vidal the man they're looking for? Are Vidal and Honor in cahoots?

I'm so excited about this book and can't wait till I can read it!

Sherry Gloag said...

:-) Thanks Carrie-Anne I appreciate your comment.

Sherry Gloag said...

:-) Sandy, I'll post one more sample next week, and hope you enjoy it as much as this one.