28 November 2013

Please welcome author Catherine Bennett

I'm delighted to welcome fellow Astraea Press author Catherine Bennett today.
 
Catherine lives in her hometown of Columbus, Ohio. She spent many years writing for pleasure and is now thrilled to release her romantic suspense, “The Trouble With Charlie”. Cathy has two grown sons and resides with her husband and two Labrador retrievers.
 
Catherine: 

Today I have the pleasure of interviewing Charlotte Reynolds, the heroine of the thrilling Romantic Suspense, “The Trouble With Charlie”. Welcome Charlotte, or would you rather I use Charlie?

Charlie: Charlie, please! I only use “Charlotte” for my driver’s license and Starbucks card!

Interviewer: (Chuckles) All right. First off, how would you describe yourself to someone who has only just met you?

Charlie: I would say that, even though I’m originally from the Midwest, I’m now the quintessential California girl. Kind of quirky, friendly. A bit out there.

Interviewer: So give me a few examples of what makes you happy.

Charlie: I love to run and I’m always challenging myself to go farther. Hiking is cool and I like spending time with friends and my cat, Punkin. Love Punkin! Oh, and I wouldn’t want to live too far from the ocean!

Interviewer: I can totally understand the last one. Tell me, what is an achievement that you are most proud of?

Charlie: Hmm. I’m proud of the fact that I put myself through college and obtained my teaching degree. I always wanted to make a positive impression on children so that gave me the drive to finish school! And I’m proud of the fact that I’ve managed to rise above some very negative circumstances in my life. I always wanted to live in a way that my parents – had they lived – would be proud of me.

Interviewer: Could you tell me a little about what you mean by “negative circumstances”?

Charlie: Well, my family was killed in a car accident when I was young. The only relatives that I had were an aunt and uncle in California so they moved me out here. Life with them was difficult, but I came out of the experience with a better understanding of how to help kids that live in abusive and desperate situations.

Interviewer: It sounds as if what happened to you made you a stronger.

Charlie: Yeah, it did. It made me more determined, that’s for sure.

Interviewer: Okay, so let’s talk about your love life. Tell me what you thought of Evan Gardner when you first met him.

Charlie: Oh, wow! He was kind of a train wreck. He needed someone like me to kick him in the pants. (Charlie and Interviewer laugh) But seriously… the way he treats his daughter, Abigail, showed me that he is a really great guy and worth the effort I put into him. (Charlie grins)

Interviewer: Perhaps I’ll have to interview Mr. Gardner and see if he agrees! (Charlie laughs) I won’t ask anymore because I don’t want to reveal too much of your book. Let me just say that your story caused me to laugh and cry. Oh, and the suspense kept me guessing until the end. I hope others will read it and feel the same way. Thanks, Charlie for being with us today.

Charlie: You’re very welcome. It was a thrill to be here, Oprah.   

 

COVER BLURB:

Love. Desire. A psycho bent on revenge. But can Charlie Reynolds recognize the most dangerous of the three?
Since being out on her own at eighteen, Charlotte “Charlie” Reynolds is a street-smart “good” girl who hides her desire for love and security behind her feisty and independent personality. She just never expected a more noxious hero than wealthy, self-consumed Evan Gardner, the CEO and founder of Valley Tech., a successful software company in Los Angeles. From the moment Evan rescues her from an apparent random attack, their attraction for each other bubbles just below the surface of all-out passion.

 

EXCERPT:
“No, Amanda. There’s nothing between Charlie and me.”
Before Charlie could move, think, or even breath, Evan caught Amanda up in his arms. She heard Amanda’s gasp of pleasure – or pain – a second before his mouth crushed hers. Charlie loosened her grip on the tree. The scene in front of her seemed to slow to a crawl. She staggered back a step.
Someone bumped into her from behind, causing her to let out an unladylike “ugh.”  Evan let go of Amanda so quickly that she fell to the pavement.
“Charlie?” His voice penetrated the fog in her brain. She spun around and ran, willing her feet to go faster than the strappy sandals would allow. She exploded out of the grove of trees, pushed her way through the crowd, and headed toward the parking lot. Her spiked heels dug into the soft turf. Swearing soundly, she bent down and yanked the shoes off, breaking the straps in the process.
Without them she could fly. She rounded the side of the building, dodging potted plants and party guests. She scanned the long line of cars through a blur of tears. They all looked the same. She continued down the drive to the street, juggling her purse, shoes and the car remote.
“Charlie!”
Her pace quickened. How many black SUV’s can there be?  Little stones dug into the bottoms of her bare feet, but she barely felt them. Holding the remote in front of her, she clicked it several times, hoping to see a set of headlights switch on in the dark.
A hand grabbed her from behind and spun her around. Charlie’s free arm swung out quicker than the scream that followed it. The heel of her sandal barely missed the side of Evan’s head.
“Get away from me, Evan!  Just get away!”  Charlie brought her knee up, but he sidestepped.
“Woman. Would you stop trying to maim me?”
“I’m leaving. Now!”
“Would you calm down and come over here?” he demanded. She resisted, but he kept a firm grip on her arm and wrestled the remote out of her clenched fist. After dodging her flailing purse, he clicked the passenger door open and nudged her in. He ran around the front of the vehicle before she could escape, swung the door open, and slid in next to her.
Charlie didn’t look at him. She simply folded her arms and stared straight ahead. They sat in angry silence for a few minutes. She wiped the back of her hand under her runny nose. He snapped open the glove box, handed her a tissue, and leaned back in the seat.
“What did you hear back there?” he asked finally.
“Everything.”
Evan ran his hand through his hair. “Did Amanda know you were spying?”
“Even if she did, you’ve got control over what you say. Over what you do.”
“I know. I know. I was angry. She was pushing me.”
“Angry? So that’s your excuse? That’s why you kissed her?” She balled her fist up and he flinched. Good. Let him be afraid. Let him be very afraid.
Buy Links:Amazon:    Barnes and Noble:    Astraea Press: 

Where To Find Catherine:Website:     Twitter:    Goodreads:
 

 

No comments: