30 June 2012

Sweet Saturday Sample

For this week's Sweet Saturday Sample I'm continuing from where I left off on Tuesday. 
Lord Alastair Vidal hs arrived in Spain, only to discover Honor has left the village he was told about and no one knows where she is.
Thanks to everyone who visits, and as this is a first draft of my current WIP any comments will be appreciated.

Taking his time to stroll further round the collection of buildings Vidal made his way back to where Juan watched him. “Did they tell you where Phillipe has gone?”

“You have to understand,” Juan began, “ with the turmoil in our country, and Joseph Bonaparte on our throne, there are those who support him and his brother, while others, like us—“ he indicated the men he’d spoken with who were still watching them, “—who fight to restore our own monarch, communication is difficult. Trust is broken. Links are gone. We trust our own and pray we do not fall into the enemy’s trap when we connected with others who claim to support our fight. Phillipe told them little and they are offended with his lack of trust, even though they understand he acted for their protection. Few of them believed Phillipe’s assertion the newcomer was even his cousin so although they don’t know they think he has gone to warn them how close the enemy is getting.”

“If he can’t trust your own team of agents, do you suppose Phillipe will try to take the woman across Spain himself?”

Juan shook his head. “To do so would risk his own neck, not that that would stop him, but if he was uncovered it would bring retribution to his family and the rest of this community. They are afraid.”

12 comments:

Patricia Kiyono said...

I love the way you created the atmosphere of distrust and hysteria during this time period. Nice work!

Anonymous said...

I like the way you delivered necessary info so that it didn't feel like a dump of information. I Great job.

Jenna said...

This is the first time I've read a sample from this ms and I have to say you set the scene beautifully. I'm not exactly what's going on, but the atmosphere of the time is very well brought out. Great job!

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Your mix of fact and fiction is well done, and you've created a feeling of foreboding. I'm looking forward to more intrigue and romance.

Sandra Allen said...

Your ability to mix history into such an intriguing story is amazing!

Sherry Gloag said...

Thanks Patricia, I'm glad it worked for you.Thanks for your input

Sherry Gloag said...

tmonique, thanks. I was a bit concerned it would come across as info-dump. Glad it worked fo you. I appreciate your commenting.

Sherry Gloag said...

Thanks for your kind words Jenna, there are a few previous posts on this story if you care to look back for them. I appreciate your input.

Sherry Gloag said...

Sandy :-) thank you, as this is the first time I'vee dipped so deeply into history, your comments mean a lot. Thanks.

Sherry Gloag said...

Thank you Sandra, I'm delighted it's working for you as this is a first for me, - going into history this way.
I appreciate your kind words.

Lindsay said...

Another great scene. I can't wait to read the whole book

Sherry Gloag said...

:-) Thanks Lindsay