26 June 2012

Tuesday's Tales ~ Red

'Red' is this week's Tuesday's Tales prompt, and so I have skipped to a short excerpt in chapter three of Vidal's Honor, my current Regency WIP.

As this is still in first draft any comments and suggestions will be apprecaited.
[It is in Viscount Lord Alastair Vidal's pov]

“You have information for me?” The ease with which the man had caught his attention bothered Vidal. Had this man done the same when the French soldiers arrived?”

“You seek the strange woman?”

The lip of the man’s cap shielded his face from scrutiny.

“You mean Phillipe’s cousin?”

“She’s no cousin of Phillipe’s.” A snort accompanied the shuffle of feet. “I don’t know who she is, but she’s not Spanish.

“And did you tell the French soldiers what you are telling me?” For the life of him Vidal failed to mask his contempt.

“Of course not! I wouldn’t do that.” Indignation won over caution and the man stepped in front of Vidal, his face red with fury.

“Then why tell me?”

“You are English. I heard the woman talking with Sancia, Phillipe’s wife, one day when I was passing her hut. The door was open, you see, and she did not speak like a true Spaniard.”

“Go on.” Vidal waited for his informer to continue. “She left before nightfall.”

The significance of this information did not escape Vidal. “How long ago?”

“Two nights ago. The French came the next day, and the following day Phillipe left.”

“You say you heard her talking,” Vidal said. “Did you ever see her?”

“As she left the village. She wasn’t alone. The men with her were not from this village, but Phillipe knew them.”

“Describe her.”

“She wore britches, waistcoat and boots.” He paused, his eyes unfocused in thought. “A cap,” he said. “She wore a cap, but it did not hide her hair well. She had golden hair. The colour of the sun just before sunset. No one round here has hair that colour.” With a nod the man looked at Vidal, his focus back on the present and not on the events of the last few days.

19 comments:

Jean Joachim Books said...

I love this story. Intriguing. Vidal is chasing his lady love all over the world. The hair description is evocative, I can see her hair. Am enjoying this story, Sherry.

Lindsay said...

There seems to be some sort of intrigue going on here.

Sherry Gloag said...

:-) Thanks Jean. I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Sherry Gloag said...

:-) Lindsay, I'm not saying anything! Thanks for coming by.

Davee Jones said...

colour of the sun before sunset...nice

Sherry Gloag said...

:-) thanks Davee

Iris B said...

Nice excertp, Shery !

Sherry Gloag said...

:-) Thanks Iris.

Misha Gerrick said...

Mmm now this has me curious. :-D

SherryGLoag said...

:-) Thanks Misha.

Karen Cino said...

Sherry I just love the way you describe her hair. You're description was picture perfect. I'm enjoying your tale. Look forward to reading more.

Layla Hunter said...

Very intrigued and cannot wait to read more! As others have mentioned, the description of her hair was perfect! I can 'see' it *smiles*

Sherry Gloag said...

:-) Thanks Karen.

Sherry Gloag said...

Layla, thanks for your kind words.

Sherry Gloag said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Pam (@moonlightreader) said...

Wow, when can I see the rest of the story? Seriously, great excerpt!

Pam (@moonlightreader) said...

And new follower as well. :)

Unknown said...

now following you too through GFC as lucyatmax...had intended to follow you earlier...thanks for stopping in and following!
Beth

Sherry Gloag said...

:-) Thanks Beth