16 June 2012

Sweet Saturday Samples

Welcome to another Sweet Saturday Samples.  I blink and eye and another week's gone by!  Today I am offering a short sample from the start of my Untitled Regency WIP

London June 1812

“There’s been another breech of security.” Robert Dundas, 2nd Viscount Melville, and First Lord of the Admiralty, laid one hand on his companion’s arm and hefted a weary sigh. “Take a walk with me,” he said, with a shrewd hard look at the man beside him. “I’d appreciate your company, and this is not the place for such a discussion. I live not far beyond your own place, I believe?”

Lord Alastair Vidal paused in the act of fobbing his snuff box and studied his friend. The smell of fine wine, whiskey and cigar smoke blended into a rich aroma that was as much a part of Whites, as the card games, the background chatter and outbreaks of lewd laughter from the younger members of the club.

With an indolent twist of the wrist he returned the elegantly lacquered box, unopened, to his pocket and nodded agreement.

Together they strolled across the room stopping to take their leave of several mutual friends. A man’s club was no place for private conversation.

Head over to Sweet Saturday Samples to read some more awesome samples.

20 comments:

Laurel-Rain Snow said...

Ah, you've totally captured the setting, from the people to their scents.

Thanks for sharing...and for visiting my blog.

Sandra Nachlinger said...

Though your description of the men's club was brief, you evoked the atmosphere perfectly. I also like the smooth move of stowing his snuff box--as if he does it so routinely, it's almost automatic. Good job.

Elaine Cantrell said...

How perfectly you describe the club. Wonder if women had anything similar?

Lindsay said...

I can't wait to read more of this story

Patricia Kiyono said...

Great job setting up the conflict. I can't help but wonder what the two men need to discuss.

Sherry Gloag said...

Thanks Laurel-Rain, your comment means a lot and is appreciated :-)

Sherry Gloag said...

Thanks Sandy. :-)

Sherry Gloag said...

AS a direct comparison, I don't think so Elaiane, but of course they did control Almacks.

Sherry Gloag said...

Thanks Lindsay. :-)

Sherry Gloag said...

:-) I'm doing a bit more tomorrow and again on Tuesday, Patty. Glad it works for you.

Leah said...

Definitely strong sensory detail. Capturing all the sights, sounds and smells of the club.

Sherry Gloag said...

:-) Thanks Leah.

Carrie-Anne said...

I like the way you set the scene, with all the great details.

Sherry Gloag said...

Thanks Carrie-Anne :-)

Mirriam Smyth said...

Wow! I can smell and sense everything in your description of where they are. Intriguing sample. I wonder who triggered the security breech and where they'll end up as they talk.

Sherry Gloag said...

:-) Mirriam, thanks for coming by. I'm glad this scene worked for you.

Iris B said...

love reading your samples and refer them to your comments ... it's making more and more sense :-)

Sherry Gloag said...

:-) Thanks Iris. I 'got' the name for this story today, Vidal's Honor, so I feel heaps better about it now.

Sarah Ballance said...

You set such a rich scene, Sherry. You really draw the reader in to stand with your characters. Great job!

SherryGLoag said...

Thanks Sarah, Sorry for the delay in responding. Only found it today when checking through my 'spam'.