22 December 2010

Today Anne Greene Talks about the process of writing Masquerade Marriage

Today Anne talks about her writing, her favourite authors and other topics.

During a long visit to the Highlands and Lowlands of Scotland I became intrigued with why Highland Clans no longer occupied the Highlands. You’ll find the surprising answer in my book Masquerade Marriage. I’m of Scottish ancestry as are so many Americans, and bagpipes music makes my heart sing. I fell in love with the awesome country and the friendly, complex people. So, being a writer, of course I had to write of what I knew. I love the clear fresh air, the handsome people, the amazing openness of the country, the castles, and the Scots violent, adventurous history. In the next few years I plan to add Cailin and Fiona’s love stories to Megan’s legendary love.




* * *
I also write contemporary suspense novels. I have a sassy detective novel, a modern day cowboy suspense, and a Coast Guard mystery, all set in my home state of Texas in the works. Did you know parts of the Civil War were fought in the west? I have a novel in the pipes that is a second book of a family saga which occurred in Talaquah, Oklahoma. I also have a World War 11 Women Pilots love story. I’d love to know if you prefer historical novels to contemporary novels. I’m taking a poll, so could you leave a comment?

* * *
My favorite authors: If a book doesn’t hold my interest I throw it across the room and never read it again. Still, my favorite author list is fairly long. First, I love all the books I write. They are all books of my heart. My passion. So, I’d have to vote for myself as my favorite author. That sounds vain, but it’s not. A writer really lives the books she writes. She goes deep into her own emotions to discover the emotions of her characters. She lives every minute of their lives. Often her characters take her down strange, unexpected paths that open startling new truths. The problems the characters struggle with are many times the questions and events the author faces or has faced in her own life.
That said, I like Philippa Gergory and her books about historic Queens, Janet Evanovich and her Stephan Plum mysteries because they are so funny. I like Sophie Kinsella and her laugh-out loud Twenties Girl. I like Suzanne Brockman and her wounded warrior heroes. I like books that put me in a different dimension than my daily living one. I like books that make me laugh and make me cry. I like books that teach me—subtly. I like books that are surprising. I have favorite inspirational authors, but I know so many of those lovely ladies I don’t want to offend any by forgetting to name them. I have a huge library of books, and the ones I’ve kept I love.

My Website: http://www.annegreeneauthor.com/
Masquerade Marriage 2010 available at WhiteRosePublishing.com

Characters You'll Always Remember2009
Genesis Finalist Suspense2010
Genesis Finalist Historical


Please come back tomorrow to read Anne's blurb and excerpt of
Masquerade Marriage

5 comments:

Zee said...

That's really insightful that you think "The problems the characters struggle with are many times the questions and events the author faces or has faced in her own life." I've never thought of it like that before. I also love Philippa Gregory's work. I can't wait to read an excerpt of Masquerade Marriage tomorrow.

Donna B said...

What a lovely interview. And I agree with the diversity of wonderful writers in many different genres. You named a few of mine. I look forward to tomorrows excerpt!

Mary Manners said...

Anne,

Masquerade Marriage is a treasure. Congrats on a beautifully-written book.

Mary

Anonymous said...

It's so good to hear from friends who really enjoy reading. I'm glad you share my favorite authors. I hope you love my book and put it on your keeper shelf.

annewgreene@gmail.com said...

Sorry, that wasn't Anonymous, that was Anne Greene responding.