30 April 2013

Tuesday's Tale 30-04-13 -- Yellow


Welcome back to another Tuesday's Tales  This week I'm sharing another clip from Megan, a WIP that has been on the go for several years, and is the 2nd story following the Hawke family siblings. The first being Duty Calls, published in 2011 by Black Opal Books.

(Info- Widowed Megan learns that someone is contesting her late husbands will. Here Megan and her lover, Vince, are questioning the grandmother of the contester. -Luke is Megan's brother.)

Vince glanced towards Luke, catching his imperceptible nod.

“Before today, when did you last see your daughter?”  Luke asked.

“I’m not sure.  Five maybe six years ago.”

“What did she want?”

“What do you think?” Esmy snapped.

“And did you give her money?”

“Yes.”

“Why?  Vince intervened.

“Because I wanted her to stay away from us.”

“Surely your grand daughter was curious about her mother?  Didn’t she ever ask about her?”

“She didn’t have to.”  Esmy’s cold clipped tones chilled her listeners.  “When Lea Anne was nearly four years old, Marie Ann snatched her from the preschool and disappeared.  It took six months for the P.I. I hired, to track her down to a dingy room in the back streets of town.  Lea Ann was covered in bruises and cigarette burns.  She still had the same yellow dress on that she wore the day her mother snatched her out of school.” She sighed. “I doubt the poor mite had another stitch of clothing to wear for all of that time she was with that wretched woman, and if that isn’t enough, when my investigator found her she had a cracked rib and broken arm the doctors here had to re-break her arm to repair the damage as best they could.

“Understand me when I tell you my granddaughter wants to see her mother no more than I do.”

No one noticed Megan enter the room with a fresh jug of coffee.  Tears streaming down her face as she placed it on the tray.”

“Megan.”  Luke’s cold gaze sent a warning to his sister.  Intent on reminding her that if this woman was involved in the scam to get hold of everything she and Tammy possessed, this was how she’d go about it.

With a slight squeeze on Esmy shoulder, Meagan returned to sit beside her bother once more.

With an understanding nod Esmy sent a sad smile towards Megan.  “I still have all the medical receipts for Lea Ann’s treatments.  I kept them in case Marie Ann tried to take Lea Anne away again.  I told her if she ever did that again I’d have her arrested and sent to jail.”

“That’s as may be.” Luke said dubiously, but it doesn’t prove you didn’t know about her latest scam to attain money.

“No.”  She agreed slowly.  “It doesn’t, but it may provide a reason why, once you satisfy yourselves, I am not part of what ever my daughter is doing, I would be willing to work with you to prevent my daughter from succeeding.

Thank you for reading another snippet this week, and please hop on over to read everyone's offering for this week's Tuesday's Tales prompt. 

20 comments:

V.L. Locey said...

Great excerpt!

Sarah Cass said...

Nice. I hope that the grandmother does help them. Sounds like the daughter is no good.

Karen Cino said...

Her mother is no good. I hope the grandmother helps them. What a shame the kid is still in the same yellow dress.

Jean Joachim Books said...

Wow! What a rotter! I hope the grandmother is on the level. Sounds like she is. I'm curious as to how they are going to catch Marie Ann and foil the scam.

Tai Vicari said...

Marie Ann must go down. I hope the grandmother is true to her word. This is great. I can't wait to read more.

Lindsay said...

Wonder excerpt

triciaandersen said...

Poor little girl! I hope that they can prove that the grandmother is honest and they can catch the mother in her lie. The mother deserves to go to jail. Great job!

SherryGLoag said...

Thanks Vickie

SherryGLoag said...

Glad you enjoyed this Sarah.

SherryGLoag said...

LOL Karen, it was the only way I could get 'yellow' into the story to fit this week's TT prompt.

SherryGLoag said...

Glad this has caught your interest Jean.

SherryGLoag said...

:-) Thanks Tai.

SherryGLoag said...

Thanks Lindsay :-)

SherryGLoag said...

Thanks Tricia. I'm glad you liked this.

Anonymous said...

Aw poor little thing... I hope they keep her safe...x

Iris B said...

Intricate, but interesting excerpt. Look forward to more!

Unknown said...

Poor Lee Anne

SherryGLoag said...

:-) Thanks for coming by, Rosalind.

SherryGLoag said...

:-) Thanks Iris.

SherryGLoag said...

Hi, Stefan, thanks for coming by.