3 June 2014

Tuesday Tales 3rd June ~ bottom

 


Welcome to Tuesday's Tales

Welcome to Tuesday Tales where 'bottom' is the prompt word today. This excerpt is taken from Megan's Story, the follow-on WIP from Duty Calls. [The large print version available at online outlets from May 29th] Luke Hawk is Rafe's half-brother (Duty Calls) and Megan's brother. (working title - Megan's Story)

“I’m sorry, I came in as the last of your pupils departed. I didn’t mean to startle you. I’m Luke Hawk.”

With a nod Amy acknowledged his introduction. “Amy Fielding.” She reached for the rest of the books on her desktop and stuffed them haphazardly in with the others. “What can I do for you?” 

The sound of the clasp snapping shut sounded loud in the now silent room. Amy placed her case on the floor beside her feet, she didn’t fancy making any more of a fool of herself than she already had by dropping the now fully loaded case.

“You called my sister earlier today. Because she can’t make it today, she’s asked me to swing by and see what the problem is, and whether I can help in any way.”

“Well, I’m not sure you can.” How did you describe a feeling, a concern? Careful never to show favouritism to any students, nevertheless, Amy was fond of Tammy and her normally outgoing personality. The girl always had time for others especially new students and those who lacked self-confidence. She had a way that soon had shy students participating fully in all the events both in and out of school.

“Try me.” Luke Hawk hitched a strong muscle thigh onto the corner of her desk, his smile zeroing in on her solar plexus like an exorcet missile. 

Amy leaned back against her desk and hitched her bottom onto the cool surface. 

“I first noticed something was bothering her about a week ago.”

“What happened” Luke leaned against the other end of the desk.

“Nothing tangible. You have to know Tammy to understand…” Amy’s voice faded with realisation her uncle would know the girl as well if not better than her teacher. “I mean…”

Luke leaned across the desk and with a smile rested his hand reassuringly on her arm. “Please, go on.”


“Well, as I was saying, it wasn’t something I could put into words. More a look in her eye when she didn’t know she was being watched. You have to understand she’s like a little mother to the other students who are not so outgoing as many of her other classmates. Tammy has the rare capacity of being liked by all her classmates without garnering jealousy.”

“Her mother was just the same.” Luke smiled at the memory. Megan had been like a tigress in defence of her cubs if she’d seen signs of bullying. “Go on.” He repeated.

The sound of a bucket clattering against the door startled them both. They looked up in time to see the cleaner’s face peering through the glass panel in the door.

“Let’s get out of here.” Amy shifted off the desk and picked up her bag from the open drawer.
 
Thanks for reading this week's offering. 
Please click below to enjoy more amazing reads at
 

11 comments:

Sarah Cass said...

Well isn't he the dreamboat. Love that they got caught...even though they weren't technically doing anything. Can't wait to see more.

SherryGLoag said...

An interesting interpretation Sarah. I'm glad you enjoyed the snippet.

V.L. Locey said...

A great excerpt! I also can`t wait to see what happens next.

Jean Joachim Books said...

Something's going on with this little girl. Her mom is dead, right? And Luke knows everyone and Amy only the little girl. Now I'm wondering what's going on and you've sucked me into the story. Their private conversation is interrupted by the janitor. Is he untrustworthy? I think so. Ingrituing.

SherryGLoag said...

:-) Thanks Vicki

SherryGLoag said...

:-) Jean. Thanks for coming by.

Karen Cino said...

Interesting excerpt. I can't wait to see what happens next week.

Jillian said...

I'm hooked. Anticipating the next installment

Iris B said...

Really enjoyed this snippet and I look forward to reading what concerns she has and how luke is able to help!

morgan said...

Talk about leaving us on a tether hook. Great job.

S.E said...

love how you used the interruption from the cleaner to disrupt the conversation