5 November 2011

A visitor's view of Guy Fawkes Night.

"Remember, remember,
the fifth of November,
Gunpowder, treason and plot.
We see no reason why
Gunpowder treason
Should ever be forgot!"

Taken from Wikipedia-
 Guy Fawkes Night, also known as Guy Fawkes Day and Bonfire Night, is an annual commemoration observed on 5 November, primarily in Great Britain. Its history begins with the events of 5 November 1605, when Guy Fawkes, a member of the Gunpowder Plot, was arrested while guarding explosives the plotters had placed beneath the House of Lords. Celebrating the fact that King James I had survived the attempt on his life, people lit bonfires around London, and months later the introduction of the Observance of 5th November Act enforced an annual public day of thanksgiving for the plot's failure.

Towards the end of the 18th century reports appear of children begging for money with effigies of Guy Fawkes and 5 November gradually became known as Guy Fawkes Day.
It is still celebrated with great enthusiam all round the British Isles. Governments, in recent years, have tried banning private firework displays on the grounds of health and safety, and indeed many people end up in the A&E departments with fire and burn related injuries by the end of the night.  So, local counsels around the country organise large bonfire and fireword displays that are run by 'proffesionals'.

But......

Mention Guy Fawkes to people living beyond the UK shoores and they'll give you a blank look and respond "Huh?"

Today,  fellow Asraea Press author, Iris Blobel share her memories of the time friends invited her to share their Guy Fawkes celebrations.

"November, the 5th of November I like traditions. Well most of them!
I try to tell my two daughters about certain customs or traditions in Germany – the country I grew up in. It’s a shame that so many get forgotten. So at a time when most talk about the American Thanks Giving Day I fondly I remember the day when my UK friends took me to the Guy Fawkes Bonfire in London. What an experience!

The tradition of Guy Fawkes-related bonfires actually began the very same year as the failed coup. The Plot was foiled in the night between the 4th and 5th of November 1605. Already on the 5th, agitated Londoners who knew little more than that their King had been saved, joyfully lit bonfires in thanksgiving. As years progressed, however, the ritual became more elaborate. (bonfirenight.net)

I loved it. There was this massive fire right in the middle of a London suburb. It was freezing cold. People were offering each other drinks and snacks. As a foreigner I was told about Guy Fawkes at least ten times. I’ll remember that day for a long time to come and find with great sadness that the young people here in Australia haven’t even heard about it.
It would be nice if we weren’t just taking on US customs like Halloween or Thanksgiving and went back to our own special traditions. Don’t you think?
What that special tradition or that special day in your country you like most?"

Author Bio: I'm loving life at the moment. I live in Australia with my husband and my two lovely girls, got a great job and in my spare time I'm a presenter at VoiceFM and write romance stories.
My book Sweet Dreams, Miss England was selfpublished. I've learned a lot since then, I know it lacks a lot of oompf, but do have a read, a lot of people loved the book. Please keep an eye open for "Journey to her Dreams" which will be released later this year with Astraea Press.

Blurb:
Would you travel around the world to uncover the reason for your dreams?

Hollie, a young woman from Tasmania does, and during her journey to Ireland, she is determined to find out what is behind those dreams about “the other woman”. Yet, during her quest for answers, Hollie finds more than just the reason for it.

Watch out for the release date of Iris's new book,  Journey to her Dreams HERE
You can find Iris at her

And  you can buy Iris's earlier book - Sweet Dreams, Miss England - HERE

6 comments:

Iris B said...

Thanks Sherry for having me on your blog today. It was a nice path down memory lane writing this post :-)

Sherry Gloag said...

Thank you, iris, for sharing your Guy Fawkes experiences with us. It's a pleasure to have you here.

Nell Dixon said...

Remember, remember the fifth of November
Gunpowder, treason and plot,
We see no reason why gunpowder treason will ever be forgot.

Heather Redmond said...

Holidays in other countries do create special memories! I fondly remember a Canada Day spent in Vancouver.

Patricia Kiyono said...

I agree, Heather. I was fortunate to celebrate the Tanabata Festival when I visited my cousins in Japan. Holidays are an integral part of any culture, and learning about them promotes understanding. Thanks, Sherry and Iris for the great lesson!

Lindsay said...

Hi Iris
Thanks for letting us learn a little about the origin of the celebration