9 August 2011

Today Sandra is talking about her wonderful The Hunter Series.

What I Learned From The Hunter Series


Each book an author writes brings with it new self-knowledge. We learn what genre we prefer to write in or what word count we’re comfortable with, what comes easily and what is difficult. What I’ve learned from the Hunter Series is that I love writing in first person. I started out in third and had problems getting in Zoe’s head. So I decided to try first, something I’d never written in before. Immediately, Zoe and I got intimately acquainted. I learned her likes and dislikes, her love of clothing, manicures and iced lattes. And I learned about her loathing for Dere, the vampire that killed her parents and a young man she was attracted to. But let’s let Zoe tell you about that herself.


Dere. The vampire that killed my parents and a friend. Uncle and I hunted him. I killed him. “Dere lived here?” The words were stiff and disjointed. I felt dizzy. My vision blurred.


“Zoe. Zoe, are you alright?” The words came from a long way off.


“Put your head between your knees, Zoe,” Uncle commanded as I swayed. When I didn’t respond, he came around the table and shoved my head down. The room tilted at a crazy angle then righted. I pushed away his hands and sat up.


“Breathe, Zoe,” he commanded.


I took a deep breath. “Why didn’t you tell me?”


“He’s dead, Zoe. He can’t hurt you anymore.”


“But to be in the same house where that monster resided.” I shuddered. I felt cold, so cold. Just the thought of him made my stomach knot. He’d had immense power. And he’d killed without mercy for food, for pleasure...and revenge.


“I just remind myself of how much he’d hate it.” Uncle Julian still squatted beside me. He looked at me and bared his teeth in a ferocious grin. Uncle had a few scores to settle with Dere himself.


Uncle had hunted him for several lifetimes. Pranics, as you probably know, reincarnate. They are born to hunt blood vampires. And until every filthy bloodsucker is dead, hunters such as Uncle Julian and myself will keep coming back. To my knowledge this is my first time around. I believe its Uncle Julian’s fourth, but I could be mistaken.




I’m running a contest at http://sandracox.blogspot.com. First prize: a Starbucks gift card, a Cooke Lee crystal bracelet and a download of Vampire Bay. Second Prize: a paper copy of Moon Watchers, Third Prize: a paper copy of Vampire Island. To enter just leave a comment at http://sandracox.blogspot.com and mention Vampire Bay Contest.


Vampire Bay is available as a download at Smashwordshttp://www.smashwords.com/books/view/72332


and Amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B005BCODIM  for $3.99.

No comments: